Period: The Second Period
Properties: Pictures, Tape-recorder
Teaching Objectives: How to show the way or ask the way to a place.
Language Focus: What about/ how about
Let sb. do sth.
Be happy to do sht.
Ⅰ. Organizing the class
T: Good morning, class!
Ss: Good morning, teacher!
T: Sit down, please. Who’s duty today?
T: The student on duty starts his/her dialogue with the following words about directions. Get the students in one group to give response one by one.
1.—Excuse me. Can you tell me where the Beijing Zoo is?
--Certainly. Go down Xiwai street westwards, walk about 5 minutes. You can’t miss it.
2.—Excuse me. Can you tell me the way to McDonald?
--Yes. Go along this street, it’s in front of you.
3.—Excuse me, but I’m trying to find the post office.
---Yes, go on until you get to the end of the street.
T: Give more information about asking the way.
1. Is this the right way to …?
2. I wonder if you could tell me where…is.
3. Excuse me, which is the way to…?
4. Please show me this place on the map.
5. Is it far?
6. Should I take a bus/trolley bus/underground train?
7. Will it take me long to get there?
8. Which is the shortest way to …?
Showing the way:
1. Go straight ahead and then turn right/left.
2. Go along this road and then cross the street at the traffic lights.
3. First right, second left, you can’t miss it.
4. Walk down the street and turn right at the corner. The department store will be right in front of you.
5. The drug store is next to/near/opposite the post office.
6. It’s at the end of the corridor(走廊) on the left.
7. Yes, you are going in the right direction.
8. Take bus/trolley bus No.1 and then change to bus No.20 at…
9. You may take the subway/underground train/tube.
10. I’d like you to take a tube. It saves your time.
11. It takes you about 20 minutes to get there.
T: Present the dialogues. Using appropriate gestures.
1. You are hungry. You need to buy some food.
Where is the food shop?
2. You are a student. You need to buy some books.
Where is the bookstore?
T: Oral work. Complete the following dialogue in different ways.
A: Excuse me. Could you please ?
B: Certainly. First , second .
You can’t .
B: No, it’s only 5 minutes’ walk.
A: Thanks a lot.
Ⅴ. Learn Part 1 and part 2
T: Get the students to answer the questions about Part 1.
1.—What do you do when you don’t know the way?
-- Excuse me …
--Is this the way to …?
-- Which is the way to …?
--Should I take…?
2.—What do you do if somebody asks you the way to a place you don’t know?
--I’m new here.
--Ask the police.
T: Give the students two minutes to practice the second part in groups(3 in one group).And then get them to act it out.
T: Pair work again. They ask and answer about Part 2 .
For example.1. How many people are there in this dialogue?
2. Who are they?
3. Where are they?
4. What are they talking about?
5. What’s the matter with the woman?
6. Did she find it at last?
7. Where will the woman go?
8. Why will she go there?
9. Is it far?
10. How long will it take the woman to get there?
11. How will she go there?
12. Will she go to the hospital alone?
13. Who Will go with her?
14. Is she a good girl?
15.Do you want to learn from the girl?
T: Get the students to listen to the tape again ,and ask one of the students to retell the text with his/her own words.
Learn Language paints:
1. What’s the matter?
What’s your trouble?
2. What can I do for you?
Can I help you?
3. What about doing sth.?
How about doing sth.?
4. had better do sth.
Had better not do sth.
5. be happy to do sth.
be glad to do sth.
be pleased to do sth.
be lucky to do sth.
6. look around
T: You are sure time is OK. Get them to Practise the key sentences above orally.
Ⅶ. Exercises in class
1. What about…?怎么樣?(你以為如何?)
(1)What about a glass of cherry?
(2)What about sending him a copy?
(3)What a bout inviting her here?
2. How about?怎么樣? ……行嗎? ……呢?
(1) How about another piece of pie?
(2) How about you? I’m going to have orange juice.
(3) How about coming with us to the club?
3.It takes sb…… to do…
(1)It takes me half an hour to go to school.
(2)It will take me one and a half hours to go there.
1. make sentences with the phrases that the teacher mentions in class.
2. Do exercises on page 68.
A. closed B. Pull C. Push D. Enter E. Cross F. Exit G. No photos H. Entrance I. No smoking J. Business hour
1. I’m afraid you can’t take photos here.( )
2. Look at that sign , you may get out of the theatre from that door.( )
3. To go across.( )
4. Where is the door? Oh, there it is . Let’s walk in.( )
5. It’s 4:45. It’s still open. We are lucky.( )
6. If you push, you can’t open the door.( )
7. If you pull, you can’t open the door.
8. Go or come into.( )
9. Excuse me. I’m afraid you can’t smoke here( )
10. It’s too late. The shop is closed. Bad luck!( )
Key:1.G 2.F 3.E 4.H 5.J 6.B 7.C 8.D 9.I 10.A
Ⅹ.Writing on blackboard
What a good, kind girl!
1. The old woman couldn’t find the address of the hospital.
2. A girl helped her to find the address of the hospital.
3. They asked a policeman the way to North street Hospital.
4. They took the No.72 bus.
The old woman met her husband in the hospital.