Properties: Recorder, Overhead Projector
1. Understand the dialogues.
2. Learn some useful expressions.
I. Showing the teaching aims
Check the homework, then let the students act out their dialogues.
III. Leading in
T: Today there is a football match, Did Jim watch the football match? Did Li Lei watch it? Play the tape for the students to find the answer, then check the answers with the whole class.
Let the students go through the questions of Exercise 1 in the workbook, read the dialogue on P76. Answer these questions, then check the answer.
Play the tape for the students to listen to and repeat, then go through the dialogue. Explain some language points: 1. win - won - won/ winner, 2. beat somebody 3 .win the game/ match 4. think of
Let the students practise the dialogue, then act out the dialogue, then do Exercise 3 in the workbook. The answers are: saw, already, win, team, stronger, beat, thank, told, place, important.
VI. Teaching grammar
Draw this line on the blackboard:
before last Sunday
having a lesson
watched a match
Ask the students some questions:
1. What are you doing now? (having a lesson)
2. What did you do last Sunday? (watched a match)
3. Was it a good match? (Yes, a very good one)
4. Had you ever seen a good match before?
No, I had never seen such a good match before.
Yes, I had seen many like that one.
Explain: The Past Perfect Tense shows an action happening before a certain time in the past. Give the students more examples:
A: Li Lei said he had seen it.
B: The train had already left when I got to the station.
C: She had finished her homework by the end of last year.
D: They had never seen such beautiful places before they came to China.
Look at Exercise 2 in the workbook. Let the students match the two halves to make true sentences, then practise the dialogue with the whole class.
Exercises in class
Complete the following sentences after the model.
Model: the bell ring, I, finish, the exercises
When the bell rang, I had finished the exercises.
1. I, come to Jims home, he, go out for a walk
2. they, get to the station, the train, leave
3. we, reach the farm, the farmers, pick a lot of apples
4. by the end of last month, we, learn about, 1000 English words
5. by 1990, the worlds population, reach five billion
1. Revise the Grammar: The Past Perfect Tense.2. Make up four sentences using when, before, after, by. .