(Post-reading and Word study)
Step 1 Revision
Have Ss talk about different musical styles and their characteristics.
Step 2 Student-centered vocabulary learning
1. Give Ss a few minutes to make a list of words and expressions from the text that they want to learn.
2. Ask Ss to show their list to a partner and explain why they chose these words or expressions.
3. Guessing meaning from context.
4. Work together in pairs or in groups, making clear the words and expressions.
5. Use a dictionary.
Step 3 Consolidation
1. Have Ss guess the meaning of the following words in each sentence.
beat 1.My heart is beating faster.(跳動)
2.The music is so fast that I can’t follow the beat. (拍子)
3.The German team beat the Japanese team 3-1 in the volleyball match. (擊敗)
pick 1.Autumn is the season to pick apples. (摘)
2.I’ll pick you up after work. (接)
3.The top ten pop songs for this year have been picked out. (選出)
rock 1.The death of John Lennon, the lead singer of the Beatles, rocked the nation. (使震驚)
2.Cui Jian is one of the most famous rock stars in China. (搖滾)
3.The ship hit some rocks and sank. Luckily all the passengers were rescued. (巖石)
style 1.The dress she bought yesterday is in the latest style. (式樣)
2.I like different styles of music, such as rock music, folk music, pop music and classical music. (類型)
3.The style is the man. (文如其人)
2. Making sentences
Have Ss make as many sentences as they can, using the words in his\her word list.
3. Making up stories
Have Ss make up stories, using the words in his\her word list.
Step 4 Discussion
As is known to all, music is a universal language. Suppose there is no music in this world, what will the world be like?