1. Learn more about the present situation of the disabled people in the world. Get the students to have right understanding of the disabled people.
2. Grammar study --Inversion.
1. Get a general idea by discussing the topic offered on page 46. Part 2 Discussion.
2. Learn inverted sentences.
Step 1 General Understanding
Read the text by following the tape and answer the questions:
(1) How many disabled people are there in China today?
[There are about 50 million people with disabilities in China today.]
(2) What is the new government programme about?
[The new government programme is designed to help disabled people.]
Step 2 Ask the students to do the following True or False questions.
1. Professor Stephen Hawking who gives a talk in a lecture hall of a university uses a very strange voice because the sound he makes is produced by a computer and a voice box.
2. When Professor Stephen Hawking answers the questions, he always does it very quickly because a computer can help him to do so.
3. Many people come to his lecture only because they want to see how a man who can not speak uses a computer to produce the sound.
4. Professor Stephen Hawking became disabled because he had a disease of the brain.
5. The book written by him with the title '”On History of Time" might be about how he continued with his research and his writing even ff he could only move the fingers of one hand.
6. The passage lists many examples of successful people with disabilities; saying that the disabled people can be successful in many ways except in the fields of s tmrts.
7. Those who have the wrong attitude towards people with disabilities may not realize that it is probable that one day they will end up with a disability.
8. The reading passage strongly demands that the government should design more programmes help disabled people, for ordinary people can do nothing to help them.
Answers: 1 ~ 4 TFFF 5 ~ 8 FFTF
Discuss the following in pairs and then ask one or two groups to do state their opinions.
What should we do to help people with disabilities in such eases as:
1. If we axe organizing an event....
2. If the blind people want to cross the road or just walk from one place to another.
3. If we see someone in wheelchairs doing shopping....:
Step 4 Main idea
Part I (Paragraphs 1 ~ 2)
Explain what the disability really is and the fact that some people have wrong attitude towards people with disabilities.
Part 2 (Paragraph 3)
Make suggestions how we should treat the disabled people properly and what needs to be done to make life easier for the disabled people,
Part 3 (Paragraph 4)
The Chinese government has done a lot to help disabled people in the last years.
Step 5 Language focus
1. Some new words and expressions.
end up with: in the end they Mil...
as a matter of fact: in fact
suitable for wheelchairs：Proper and easy for wheelchairs
2．Some difficult sentences，
Most of them can see or hear something even if not clearly·
They love having lots of friends，so do those with disabilities．
I look forward to receiving your reply．
He looks forward to coming to China．
be used to(doing)習慣于 stick to(doing)堅持
lead to(doing)導致 devote oneself to(doing)獻身于
refer to涉及，參考 turn to(doing)轉向；求助于
prefer 寧愿……而不…… belong to屬于
get down to。．．認真考慮 be married to與……結婚
pay attention to注意 get to到達
Step 6 Grammar study inversion倒裝句
Only in this way can we improve our English．
Only after you left did I find this bag．
2．含否定意義井修飾全句的詞放在句首，如：not，little，hardly，scarcely，no more，no longer，in no way，never，seldom，not only，no sooner等等。如：
(1)Seldom do I go to work by bus．
(2)Never shall for get it．
(3)No sooner had l got home than it began to rain．
(1) I like travelling．So doe she，
(2)Her father is a doctor．So is her mother．
(3)He has been to Beijing twice．So have I．
4．Neither，nor no more放在句首，作“也不”講，跟在一個否定句之后，表示前面所述內容也適用于另一人或物。例如：
(1)My teacher didn't agree with him．Nor did I．老師不同意他的意見，我也不同意。
(2) I am not interested in maths．Neither is he．我對數學不感興趣，他也同樣。
A：So it is with．．．；
B：his the same with。．．請見例句：
(3)—I like chicken，but I don't like fish．——我喜歡吃雞肉，但不喜歡吃魚。
一So it is with me，——我也如此。
(4)Torn is an American，hut lives in China，it is the same with Jack，
5．副詞often，短語many a time，或者so修飾形容詞或副詞，位于句首時的倒裝句。例如：
(1)SO badly was he injured in the accident that he was sent to the hospital for treatment．
(2)SO hard does he work that he has no time to spare for travelling。
(1)Should it rain，all the crops would be saved．
(2)Were my teacher here，he would give some good advice． ·
(3)Hadn't it been his help，we wouldn't have finished the work in time．
(1)May God bless you!
(2)May you succeed!
(3)Long live the People’s Republic of China!
(1)Young as／though she was，she could work out that problem alone。
(2)Child as／though he is，he is very．brave．