Unit 11 key to success
Teaching aims and demands:
1. Get the Ss to read the two passages , knowing something about the key to success and improving
their reading ability.
2. Get the Ss to know some important words ,phrases and sentences.
Teaching difficult points:
phrases: stick with through thick and thin for the sake of attach to
live up to sty hands-on …
1. Especially at school, it sometimes feels as if we are being asked to work in teams for the sake of
2. Each offers gifts and processes that complement the others, contributing in a unique way to the
qualitative functioning of the whole, whether the ‘whole’ is a team, a class, a family or a society. …
Time allocations: 3 periods
Period 1 Reading
Step I lead in
T: I want to move this desk to the 4th floor. But I can’t do it by myself. Who can help me? ( a student comes) we two did this job together. and what we
can call the job?
-----it is team work.
T: where else do we need team work?
-----football, basketball, rugby, working…
Step 2 fast-reading what is team work? ( Para. 2)
Step 3 careful- reading
what kinds of team do the writer write? try to compare them.
Rugby team Project team
Similarities team work: individual people brought together, common goal , has a clear role, cooperate
Differences 1. made up of a certain number
2. goal---to win a match
3. members have different skills
6. members should respect, help and support each other 1. members: people of different
personalities and abilities (Para. 7)
2. take into account how each individual member works best
Step 4. summary ask students to divide the passage into 3 parts.
part 1: Para 1-2 general introduction of team work
part 2: Para 3-6 sports teams ( rugby teams)
part 3: Para 7-10 project teams
Step 5. further understanding
Para. 1: 1. Especially at school, it sometimes feels as if we are being asked to work in teams for the
sake of just that. 特別是在學校里,有時我們感覺好象是為了團體活動而組織團體活動。
Para. 3: 2. It is important that all members of the team feel that each of them makes an equal
contribution and that they help and support each other.
Para. 6: 3. As with sports teams, group work can …when group members respect…, while the work division…at the right level in the role that is …
Para. 7: 4. 整個段落用了三種不同的表達方式表達類似的意思
people who… people…are the ones… some are…
Step 5. record after teaching
Period 2 language points
1. stick with繼續支持; 保持聯系; 和……在一起
Stick with me, the best is to come.
Stick with him until you get out of the crowd.
2. through thick and thin不顧艱難; 同甘共苦; 禍福與共
She remained/ sticked with her husband through thick and thin.
3. pull out of out of
1) 喪失, 放棄
His family are living a poor life for his father has been out of work for months.
2) 超出…之外 My watch is out of order.
拓展 out of kindness/joy/shame/friendship/pity
out of water out of danger/date/order out of one’s reach
Reading Para. 1
4. what if…?
常用來引導問句, 表示 “倘若…將怎么樣? 即使…又有什么要緊?
what if he doesn’t come?
What if they don’t agree with us?
5. for the sake of 由于; 為了…的利益; 看在某人的份上
for one’s/sth’s sake 為了…, 看在…的份上
He bought a house in the country for the sake of his wife’s health.
For goodness’ sake, will you stop that noise?
It is entirely for your own sake that I am speaking.
Para. 4 6. attach to
1) attach sth. to sth. 將某物系在
Attached (to this letter) you will find…
Do you attach any importance to what he said?