Words and expressions:
1. prince __________(female) 2. furnish __________(n)
3. wear ___________(adj) 4.anyhow___________(synonym.)
5. bakery ___________(v) 6. come out _________(n)
7. pray ____________(n) 8. simple ___________(v)
9. approve _________(antonym) 10.curl _____________(adj)
Warming up and speaking
1. Present the outcome of your discussion to the whole class.向全班同學介紹你們討論的結果.
outcome n. 結果;結局;后果[S1][(+of)]
I think there can be but one outcome to this affair.我認為這件事只可能有一種結局。
She was satisfied with .她對自己努力的結果很滿意。
Reading: A Sacrifice for Love
True or false:
1. James Dillingham Young was a rich young man.
2. Della lived in a neighborhood with many trees and flowers.
3. Jim and Della were a married couple.
4. Della thought having a haircut will make Jim happy.
5. Della decided to have the hair cut out of her love for Jim.
6. There were two possessions of this family—Jim’s gold watch and Della’s hair.
Read the text and make right choices：
1. How much money was saved by Della before the Christmas Day?
A. $ 8. B. $ 1.87. C. $ 2. D. $ 8.7.
2. Why did Della cut her hair off?
A. Because she wanted to give Jim a surprise.
B. Because she liked wearing short hair.
C. Because she wanted to be looked like a Coney Island Choir girl.
D. Because she needed more money to buy Jim a present.
3. How much did Della get for selling her hair?
A. $ 12. B. $ 18. C. $ 20. D. $ 22.
4. What did Della buy for Jim’s present?
A. A gold watch. B. A gold watch chain.
C. A shave. D. A new overcoat.
5. What did Jim buy for Della’s present?
A. A shampoo. B. A hat. C. A comb. D. A necklace.
6. Jim felt ______the moment he saw Della.
A. angry B. surprised C. disapproval D. upset
7. Which of the following is true according to the story?
A. The Christmas day was coming. Della was very happy and she was looking forward to it.
B. Jim and Della were young and rich.
C. Jim didn’t love Della any more when he saw that she had her hair cut off.
D. Jim’s gold watch and Della’s long hair were the two possessions which they both took pride in.
8. The word in the fifth paragraph “hesitated” is closest in meaning to______.
A. imagined B. dreamed C. felt uncertain D. watched
9. Which of the following is NOT true according to the story?
A. The day before Christmas Della was worried because she had only saved one dollar and eighty-seven cents for Jim’s Christmas present.
B. The young couple lived a hard life but they loved each other deeply.
C. Della was very nervous and worried before she heard Jim’s step when he came back home from work.
D. When Della saw her present, she was so happy to get the expensive combs that she burst into
10. From the sentence, “She stood by the window and looked out at a grey cat walking along a
grey in a grey backyard.” we can infer that Della was very______.
A. angry B. calm C. happy D. sad
11. Della burst into tears when she saw the combs because_______.
A. she didn’t like them B. the combs didn’t match her beautiful hair.