Unit 3 The land down under
1 prohibit vt (尤指以法令)禁止
prohibit sth /doing sth; prohibit sb from doing sth
1)Smoking is strictly prohibited inside the factory.
2) Nuclear powers are prohibited from selling this technology. 禁止核大國出售該項技術。
prohibition c 禁令，禁律
The government will issue a prohibition against selling alcohol to people under the age of 18.
比較forbid (forbade, forbidden) vt 禁止
forbid sth/ doing sth; forbid sb from doing sth; forbid sb to do sth
2 territory c/u 1)領土，版圖 2)（某一特定的）地區
1) They have refused USA troops to be stationed in their territory.他們拒不允許美軍駐扎在他們國土上。
2) That was an expedition through previously unexplored territory. 那是一次穿越未經勘探地區的探險。
3(轉)1) Modern Australia is made up of six states and two territories.
2) Women make up only 30% of the workforce.
1) _______________ 2) _____________________
4 surround vt 1)圍繞，環繞 2)包圍，圍住
2) Mystery surrounds the actress’s death .
5 represent vt. 1)speak for代表（某人，某一團體）
2)be a sign of （尤指在地圖上或平面圖里）代表，表示 與stand for 同義
1)Mr Li was chosen to represent the company at the conference. 李先生被選為該公司出席會議的代表。
2)The other stars on the flag represent the Southern Cross.國旗其他星星代表南十字星座。
6 strait海峽 channel海峽 ( 比strait 大)
1) The people on both sides of the Taiwan Strait are all looking forward to peaceful reunification of
the motherland as soon as possible.
2) It is our common desire to develop the cross-Straits relations.
3) swim across the English Channel
7 create 1)make sth exist which didn’t exist創造,創作 2)cause引起,造成
1) The main purpose of industry is to create wealth .
2) This decision will create confusion.(混亂)
8 fellow adj 同類的,同事的,同伴的
fellow members同一組織的成員 my fellow Chinese我的中國同胞
a fellow worker同事 my fellow passenger和我同車的旅伴
n 1)man 男人 2)家伙,老兄(帶輕蔑或親昵等意的稱呼)
What a fellow! 這家伙或好家伙
9 claim v1)demand or ask for in one’s own right (根據權利)要求或要求擁有;認領 2) say that sth is right 聲稱
claim to do; claim that從句
譯1) Can I claim payment for the damage ?
2) No one has come to claim this bike so far.
3)The doctors claimed to have discovered a cure for the disease.
4)He claimed that he was not guilty(有罪的).
You have no claim to this property.你無權要求這份財產.
They made a claim on the insurance company for the stolen luggage.因行李被盜, 他們向保險公司要求索賠.
10 make it possible for sb to do 使某人有可能…
make it clear to us that 從句 向某人表明,清楚向某人說明
11 crime c/u 犯罪;犯罪活動
譯commit a crime keep an eye on the new patterns of crime
criminal adj 犯罪的 c. 罪犯,犯人
1) He has a criminal record.
2) The criminal was sentenced to three years in prison.
12 ecology 生態,生態學ecosystem生態系統ecological adj.生態的
譯1) I major in ecology 2)protect the ecological environment
3)be harmful to the ecosystem 4)develop the ecotourism
13 consequence : result c 結果,后果
He broke the law and now he must take/ face the consequences of his actions.
as a consequence結果 as a /in consequence of 由于
There is a constant rise in sea levels in consequence of global warming.
consequently: as a result 結果
14 original 1) adj existing or happening first 原先的,最早的
1) The original Australians suffered a lot .原澳洲土著人吃盡苦頭.
2) The picture has been returned to its original owner.