Words and expressions
1.apply n application______2.survival v. survive
3.ox pl. oxen 4.salty n_ salt____
5.thirst adj.___thirsty_______6.anxiety adj. __anxious____
7assessment v.___assess____8.starvation v. ____starve__
Warming up listening and speaking:
1.Failure happens when you quit.
●quit vt. (quitted/quit, quitted/quit, quitting)
(1)從…離去,離開; 停止;辭職 (to eave; to give up; to stop) +n./doing
I’ve quit my job. 我辭職了.
Quit smoking in this room, please.
Quit fooling around! 別胡鬧了!
(2)to rid oneself of by paying 償清
quit a debt
Quit yourself like adults.
(4) be quit of sb./sth: 擺脫某人/某物
I was glad to be quit of the troublesome job.
2. I can quickly adapt myself to new circumstances.
● circumstances n.情況,環境;情勢
In normal circumstances I would have resigned immediately.在正常情況下,我本會馬上辭職的。
under no circumstances ，in no circumstances，無論如何不；決不
詞組：under the circumstances或in the circumstances 在這些情況下；情況既然如此
The circumstances forced me to accept. 環境迫使我不得不同意。
Maybe under these circumstances we may say that man can conquer nature.
It depends on [upon] circumstances. 這要視情況而定。
Under no circumstances should you step out of the house.
2.Imagine that you are cast away on a desert island in the Pacific Ocean like Robinson Crusoe.
●cast away ( 通常用于被動語態)
Read the text and finish the following questions:
Scan the passage and decide which of the following sentences is true or false and correct it if false.
1. In the spring of 1845, my father read a book about New York. ( )
2. Indian Creek in Kansas was the meeting place for people moving to the east. ( )
3. On November 4,1846, we entered the Salt Lake Desert and soon lost our way. ( )
4. A young man in their group suggested that the writer stay behind with the children and wait for
help. ( )
5. At three o’clock in the morning of New Year’s Day, we reached the edge of the desert. ( )
Read the passage again, and try to find the topic sentence of each paragraph or summarize the main
idea of each paragraph . After 5”, check the answers,。
P1. My father decided to go west after reading a book about California.
1 When did my father read a book? 2 What did he react to this account?
this account of give him the idea In the spring of 1845
2 What did he react to this account?
this account of give him the idea
3 When did they set off?
by the middle of October set off
in the spring of 1845
when half a year later
by the middle of
how long /far / who/why
P2. We get ready for the journey westward by reaching the first destination of Indian Greek in
1. How many states did we travel through? And then what did we decide to do?
four spend winter move on
2. What was our first destination?
Indian Creek in Kansas frontier
3. What was our starting day toward west?
April 12, 1846 chose
P3 We experienced the hard journey across the Salt Lake Desert.
1. What did we do with the wagons at night when we camped?
by day driven form around